Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Snapshots Around Town

It is November 12th and the weather has decided to be amazing -- a definite upshot to living in the tropics or whatever the proper term is for this region (it has been a few years since the 6th grade, but I remembered just enough to eliminate "frozen tundra" from the list of options).


Tennis anyone? I have been an avid fan since I met Boris Becker in high school... The short version is that a few friends and I were walking to the parking lot tram after a day at Kings Island. It was summer around ATP-time (the big pro tourney) and one of my friends said "Hey! That is Boris Becker!". I thought the name sounded familiar, so I turned in the indicated direction. He probably looked tall, but otherwise more normal than expected, though I am not sure since I did not look in time. Still, what an honor to nearly meet such a famous tennis player.


In case you cannot read it (you can click for a larger view), it says "Electronic Mosquito Bat". This device is purpose-built to fry the evil insects and works very well. $3 well spent. You might wonder why I don't just clap them to death -- it sounds easy enough, but the mosquitos here are superbly deft at dodging and hiding, and I do not want them mistaking my attempted murder as encouraging applause.


This prominent landmark is where I keep piles of cash - ANZ Royal Bank. If you are American you would call it "Ay-En-Zee", but if you are from Australia, New Zealand, or England you say "Ay-En-Zedd". And not just to be cool in that way we might substitute "ott" for zero. They actually say the letter Z as "Zedd". Then, to add horror to confusion, I learned that these people of odd accents even sing their ABCs to a different tune. Talk about culture shock.


Fortunately, this is the only place I experience significant hair loss. It costs $0.75-1.00 depending on if I get the master or the apprentice.


Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder would be so pleased. Just about every street you take you will see dogs roaming about.


This is the street my school is on. Some bigger buildings and some shanty-store fronts. And, to add cool color to the scene, the occasional monk will pass by.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. You really should consider blogging. - matt

Anonymous said...

I like that mosquito repeller.

Anonymous said...

I'm with farman. That mosquito device looks pretty sweet, and provides one with ample opportunity to improve one's backhand, I'm sure.

sarah cool said...

my parents have one of those bug tennis rackets for their sailboat.